Monthly Archives: January 2016
1 roll of Paneton Flaky Pastry
1 egg (beaten for pastry wash)
Left-over ham (as little or a much as you have)
Ingredients: Bechamel sauce
1/2 large onion finely diced (we blitzed ours in a food processor)
25g butter (to saute onions)
2 Tbs flour
1 Tbs wholegrain mustard
1 cup milk
1/2 grated cheese or any left overs from cheese boards
Salt to taste
Tip: Make bechamel sauce in advance and allow to cool completely.
- Melt butter in a pan and saute onions until completely softened. Add mustard.
- Add extra butter to pan, once melted add flour and mix well over heat.
- Add small amounts of milk, mixing well to avoid lumps and ensuring, flour is cooked out.
- Once all mil is incorporated, add cheese, mix well and set aside to cool.
To assemble the tart:
- Preheat oven 200′
- Divide pastry sheet in two
- Spread bechamel evenly over pastry bottom, leaving a 2cm pastry edge clear.
- Layer ham slices over bechamel
- Egg wash pastry edge on bottom
- Place pastry top over ham and cheese mix
- Crimp edged together with a fork to seal in filling
- Using a shape knife, lightly score lines across top to create decorative patterns (you can leave this plain if preferred)
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes
Serve fresh out of the oven for breakfast, or with a green salad for lunch, Bon appetit